Tuesday, January 11, 2011
A Call to Greatness for Fort Steilacoom Park, Golf Course ... heck, all Lakewood
Darn it, just don't have time to write a summary of a report that got handed out last night, but if you care at all about Fort Steilacoom Park, I strongly recommend you get a copy. This is what I wrote some of our advisory board members a few minutes ago:
I strongly recommend picking up or downloading a copy of the report as soon as you can. This report won't just knock your socks off, it will blast your socks through at least three walls. There's a lot of big picture thinking, and challenges to think of extraordinary opportunity and potential. It's really nice to see history and heritage, parks and recreation, economic development, and all the equally important factors blended together in both fact-finding and vision.
It's not a blueprint, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a powerful call to be creative. What a wonderful thing in these economically depressed times.
This report offers a good starting point for a grand vision of the park. What resonated most with me so far is that the report looks at all the aspects of the park as important: as obviously a place for parks and recreation, but also as a driver for our local economy and as a unique resource in all Washington for history and heritage.
Of course, I've also been saying for years that we should have a mini-farm at the park for the benefit of schoolchildren. The park was a farm back in the Hudson's Bay Company days and then of course later for Western State Hospital. That's the other reason I like the report ;) You'll see what I mean. Let me know what you think.
Enough breathless talk, here's the link to the city report and where you can download the actual document.
Forward this post
I strongly recommend picking up or downloading a copy of the report as soon as you can. This report won't just knock your socks off, it will blast your socks through at least three walls. There's a lot of big picture thinking, and challenges to think of extraordinary opportunity and potential. It's really nice to see history and heritage, parks and recreation, economic development, and all the equally important factors blended together in both fact-finding and vision.
It's not a blueprint, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a powerful call to be creative. What a wonderful thing in these economically depressed times.
This report offers a good starting point for a grand vision of the park. What resonated most with me so far is that the report looks at all the aspects of the park as important: as obviously a place for parks and recreation, but also as a driver for our local economy and as a unique resource in all Washington for history and heritage.
Of course, I've also been saying for years that we should have a mini-farm at the park for the benefit of schoolchildren. The park was a farm back in the Hudson's Bay Company days and then of course later for Western State Hospital. That's the other reason I like the report ;) You'll see what I mean. Let me know what you think.
Enough breathless talk, here's the link to the city report and where you can download the actual document.
Forward this post

